Garmin’s GPSMAP 78sc marine handheld GPS device is ideal for all of your on- and off-water adventures. The device comes with Blue Chart coastal charts and worldwide base map imagery where you’ll be able to see shorelines, depth contours, harbors, marinas, and more for the US and Bahamas. Additional maps are often added via pre-loaded micro SD cards.
For continued use on the water, this device floats just in case you drop it overboard accidentally or within the event of inclement weather. Finally, you and your friends located around the world can share your favorite spots and data wirelessly. Simply press “send” to transfer your routes and points of interest to similar GPS devices.
If you have plans to have an all-out adventure in remote places then keeping Garmin’s GPSMAP 78sc GPS device with you will be the wise decision. But before owning the device you should check out what is called Marine GPS and the features of this model. So what is a marine GPS navigator and how does it differ from your standard global positioning system. We will dissert all of your questions about marine GPS units so you’ll be able to make a decision for choosing your most effective marine GPS for your boat trips.
A marine GPS navigator is specifically designed to navigate when you’re on the water. You’ll be able to use marine GPS systems for a variety of on-water activities such as:
– Tracking aquatic life
– Finding a location
– Tracking Other boats and ships
Garmin’s 78sc marine GPS: Features
– Comes With Built-In BlueChart G2 Coastal Charts And A Worldwide Basemap With Imagery.
– Has A Built-In Three-Axis Tilt-Compensated Electronic Compass.
– Capable Of Sharing Waypoints, Tracks, And Routes With Other Compatible Device Users.
– Perfect solutions for water sports and floats in water.
– Provides a High-sensitivity GPS receiver.
– Come with 6-inch clear color TFT display.
– Built-in barometric altimeter for heading/altitude/weather
– Included Automatic routing function.
– Included Hunt/fish calendar.
– Easily can enjoy its seamless geocaching.
– Photo navigation features also there.
– You can able Wireless sharing with Garmin Connect.
– Builtin a rugged case for protection.
– Marine-friendly handheld with high-sensitivity GPS handset.
Garmin’s 78sc marine GPS: Size
The 78sc is produced with a rugged case that makes it very durable. Definitely, a kayaker loved this piece of kit because of its compact size and very easy to hide in your bag or pocket, also making it easy to bring around everywhere.
With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver and HotFix satellite prediction, GPSMAP 78sc locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is evident — whether you’re in deep woods or simply near tall buildings and trees, you’ll forecast GPSMAP 78sc to assist you to discover your way once you need it the foremost.
Garmin’s GPSMAP 78sc GPS device’s waterproof is IPX7 standards and its ability to float in water makes it a great choice for those who enjoy boating or any kind of water sport. Its built-in BlueChart g2 U.S/Bahamas coastal charts cover shorelines, depth contours, harbors, marinas, and many more. Fishermen and sailboat racers have enjoyed its ability to float which isn’t common in most GPS navigators.
If you are plan on tracking day and night then haven’t any fear because the GPSMAP 78sc is provided with a built-in 3-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass that makes it absolutely stellar. You may never fail with route tracking because the 78sc does this job best. Not only is it ideal for tracking, but also you don’t have to worry about storage with its microSD slot. You’ll be able to store downloaded satellite images and look at them later.
Adding more maps is straightforward with our big range of detailed marine, topographic, and road maps, available on the micro SD card. Conveniently connect Blue Chart g2 preloaded cards for a good day on the water or City Navigator NT map data for turn-by-turn routing on roads (see maps tab for compatible maps). The cardboard slot is found inside the water-resistant battery compartment, so you do not need to worry about getting it wet. GPSMAP 78sc also supports BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (subscription required), which allows you to download satellite images to your device and integrate them together with your maps. Additionally, the 78sc is compatible with Custom Maps, free software that transforms paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps for your device.
You’ve been busy exploring and now you would like to store and analyze your activities. With a straightforward connection to your computer and to the net, you’ll be able to get a close analysis of your activities and send tracks to your outdoor device using Garmin Connect. This one-stop site offers an activity table and allows you to look at your activities on a map using Google Earth.
Featuring a bright 2.6-inch LCD color display with a built-in basemap and high-sensitivity GPS receiver, the GPSMAP 78 series takes recreational navigation to an entirely new level. All three models are waterproof and include a built-in microSD card slot for loading additional maps and a fervent MOB (man overboard) button.
Garmin’s 78sc marine GPS: Full Specifications
- Display Type: Transflective 65K color TFT
- Display Size: 1 1/2″ Width x 2 1/4″ Height
- Screen Resolution: 160 x 240
- Included Cartography: BlueChart®g2 preloaded cards
- Optional Cartography: City Navigator NT®; Supports BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (subscription required); Compatible with Custom Maps
- Receiver Type: High-sensitivity
- Battery Type: 2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended
- Battery Life: 20 hours
- Dimensions: 2 ½” x 6” x 1 ¼”
- Weight:7.7 ounces
- Connection Interface : USB
- Waterproof Rating: IPX7 Submersible, and it floats
- Interfacing: High-speed USB and NMEA 0183. Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize, and share data). Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units)
- Warranty: One year
- ASIN: B003I86PJG
- Item model number: 010-00864-02
- National Stock Number: 5825-01-593-3541
- Manufacturer: Garmin
- Antenna: Internal GPS Antenna
- Best Use: Marine
- Card Type: Micro SD
- External Sensors: Compass
- Barometric: Altimeter
What’s in the Box
- GPSMAP 78sc
- Wrist strap
- USB cable
After considering all the above information you can easily go for the Garmin GPSMAP 78sc Waterproof Marine GPS. Its quick sensors and detailed maps assure you that you just aren’t getting lost. You’ll carry it to lakes, seas, and oceans without fear about knowing where exactly you’re.
It’s a powerful reception and therefore the high-sensitivity GPS receiver is made for that. Whether you’re going fishing, racing sailboats, or enjoying a treasure hunt along with your friends, the 78sc provides you more than your expectations.
Q. What is the difference between Garmin 78s and 78sc?
A. The main difference is, 78s has an electric compass and the charts built-in.
Q. Is there a clip on the back of the device?
A. There is no clip but there is a lanyard.
Q. Can this be used on a snowmobile?
A. Absolutely you can be used on a snowmobile.
Q. What is the maximum SD Card this can have including type & kind?
A. The device can use up to 32GB Class 10 sdCard.
Q. Does the 78sc show on the display the longitude/latitude numbers?
A. Not on every screen. Choose it on the menu.